Leadership naturally requires you to be a curious individual and the more curious you are, the more successful you and your Team will be!! During Coaching interactions with your Team, ask many questions to help your Team Member arrive at the root issues of performance and production limitations. Too often as a Leader we are tempted to talk more than listen when dealing with Team Members. Time is too valuable to expend by droning on with your own assumptions and theories about possible issues and problems the Team Member might be facing or having.
Listed below are questions that any Leader can use to dig deeper into the success well during any Coaching interaction:
* “What one thing could I do to make you more effective in your role?”
* What roadblocks are holding you back? (or preventing your projects from moving ahead?)
* What’s the most important issue you are dealing with in your life right now?
* What does the competition do better than us?
* What do we do better than our competition?
* If you were the President of this Company, what’s the first thing you would change and why?
* What do we/you do better than anyone else?
* Looking at your personal productivity, what two things do we need to work on to improve your productivity?
* What are the two key behaviors you need to keep doing to remain successful?
* What one thing can we do to make our weekly meeting more effective?
* What are your top three goals for this/next month?
* What one thing can you do today that will have the greatest impact on you reaching your goals?
* If I could do just one thing for you as a result of this discussion, what would it be?
If you incorporate a few of these questions into your coaching interactions and then follow the path they lead you on, you will be well on your way to moving your Team and yourself to victory!!
Until next time, keep asking questions!